Saturday, June 10, 2006

Terror

Has anyone experienced and witnessed.......AND heard...... an animal in sheer, excruciating pain? Unfortunately, I had this experience yesterday evening. I can't seem to push the lingering thoughts out of my brain. I even had to take a Xanax to calm down, which I rarely indulge.

As I was standing in front of the sink washing the dinner dishes....above the tap water running I could hear some sort of screaming and howling. I was thinking, "What the fuck is that noise?" I turned off the tap and with dish towel in hand I headed for the front door to listen where this God awful noise was coming from. I saw one of my neighbors heading towards the back of a house where there is a Husky breed dog in residence. That dog does carry on sometimes........BUT, this was different.
With dish towel in hand I headed over with my neighbor to see what all the hub-bub was about. In the mean time, another other neighbor was following in pursuit.

OMG! This poor dog was suffering so badly, I couldn't help but cringe with bile rising into my throat. The crying of pain from this animal was beyond description. Like I said before, I can't get it out of my mind.

The dog looked to me like he was trying to have a bowel movement and couldn't. He would cry and scream when pushing. I had first thought that he had broken his leg or some kind of injury like that. After talking to the owner who was outside with the dog.......she told us that he was CONSTIPATED. Constipated is an understatement! He was acting like a brick was lodged in his colon! I've heard of shittin' bricks before.....but, not in the literal sense. She told us that she was going to dislodge whatever was causing the problem........she had rubber gloves on. Yeah right, lady. Suuure you are. She was waiting on her husband to help hold the dog. I told her that she better wrap something around his muzzle, like a leash, before she tried that maneuver.
Anyhoo.......I wasn't waiting around to witness that! There was nothing I could do anyway......I sure wasn't going to help hold a dog in distress that didn't know me.
So, I left.
I came home and told everyone what was going on. We still heard the dog crying and screaming for a little while. Hubby and I went outside to see if anyone was still tending to him. I guess the owners finally got smart and was putting the dog in the car to take him to an animal hospital or vet.

Thank God! I couldn't stand it anymore.

The dog isn't back yet. I hope he survived this crisis.

1 Comments:

Blogger Island Queen said...

oh how horrible!! (covering ears) i've heard cats screaming like children ... ::shiver::

hope he's ok.. let us know.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home